Thursday, March 6

California Deserts in Bloom

After leaving San Diego we headed back to Twenty Nine Palms, via Anza-Borrego Desert Park. I'd been there once before with my parents on a motorcycle club ride, only we were in a car because I was along. I didn't remember much else other than it was nice for a Sunday drive. A Sunday drive if yours involve getting car sick. Jake actually got sick. Now I remembered why the motorcycle club liked that drive....It was very curvy, with roller coaster like highs and lows. As long as we drove extra slow, we didn't have to pull over too often.

Anza Borego Desert
All that rain the last week really help contribute to the early blooms. We were so lucky, we even got to see the Ocotillos in bloom.
Ocotillo flower

I never knew how much I liked flowers before, but this trip is definitely making me more aware of them, and wanting more. I don't remember seeing flowers in Colorado, all I can think of at this point is how cold it's going to be when we get back, and how dirty the snow will most likely be, if it's not completely muddy by now. Let's not think about that and focus on Joshua Tree National Park.
Joshua Tree NP wildflowers
We're back, and it's brighter than ever.

The flowers were even good enough to drag the kids from the Nintendo's.
Jakes favorite flower
And allow a rare shot of me. I got my haircut while in San Diego, although this shot doesn't quite show it totally.
me, with new do

We walked through the Cholla Cactus garden, others call them jumping cactus but the kids like to call them teddy bears. Not very cuddly, but they are cute.
Joey & jewel in Cholla Cactus forest
Just be sure to watch where you step!
Jake - watch where you step
Or someone will be forced to do this:
picking cactus out of shoe
Someone other than me, of course.

4 comments:

Heather's Moving Castle said...

Thanks for the gift of those beautiful photos! The flowers made me smile!!! It was a really long day today. I hope to be able to post about it next week on my blog.

Much love to you and happy trails!

Stacie said...

Awesome pictures! I love the purple flowers, and your tatoo looks great!

zamozo said...

Love the new do - you fit right in with the pretty blossoms! Thanks for sharing and allowing me to live vicariously through you!

karrie said...

I left you site up while I went to make coffee, and came back to find my 3.5 year-old engrossed and having a one-way conversation with your kids about the desert. You have a new "reader"! :-)

Related Posts with Thumbnails